A Travel Plan is a requirement of a development consent to demonstrate travel by means other than the private car, usually set against defined targets. The Plan usually forms a planning condition or obligation of a planning consent. Once the Travel Plan requirement is discharged, then the Travel Plan would be Implemented.
Mayer Brown operate a number of Travel Plans. These range from smaller developments or ones well located by non-car means where the Travel Plan requirement is as straightforward as the provision of information for users, through to large scale schemes where there is a requirement for new public transport services and extensive monitoring.
What are the benefits of using Mayer Brown for your Travel Plan?
- A portfolio of successful Travel Plans
- High achievement in terms of meeting targets for non-car modal share
- Strong relationships with the transport operators
- Strong regard for our work by the approving authorities
- Excellent quality marketing material
Public Transport Contracts
Our team assist in negotiating contracts with public transport operators to provide services within a development in accordance with a S106 Obligation or Travel Plan requirement. This also Includes the provision of free travel if required.
We have assisted in the launch of a number of bus services, reaching back to 2002 where the services continue on a commercial basis. Recent services include the 57 Bus Service in Chelmsford for the development at Beaulieu launched In April 2017. This is now achieving a 30% bus modal share in the early peak period. Other services include the 16 Bus Service at the St Luke's Park development in Runwell and the MyLocal Flyer Service at Oaklands Hamlet, a commuter bus service taking residents of the development direct to the local station.
Why use Mayer Brown to negotiate your Public Transport Contract?
Are you unsure how to approach negotiating a new bus service for a development? Or perhaps you need to establish a free travel (bus voucher) scheme and manage the costs but need some assistance? We are here to help! These are some of the reasons that clients have given as feedback as to why they have worked with us:
- Our portfolio of successful schemes, for example development sponsored bus services which now continue on a commercial basis
- High achievement in terms of non-car modal share which allows developers to more readily make applications for additional development
- Our strong relationships with the transport operators
Travel Plan Coordinator
The Travel Plan Coordinator is responsible for:
- Implementing the measures of the Travel Plan (financial incentives, cycle training, etc.)
- Being the main contact for residents and the local authorities in relation to Travel Plan queries
- Maintaining a database for the Travel Plan
- Liaising with the marketing team for the development to promote the Travel Plan and its measures
- Undertaking the monitoring and preparation of a Travel Plan Monitoring Report for issue to the local authorities
The benefits of using Mayer Brown as your Travel Plan Coordinator
We manage all aspects of the Travel Plan implementation and monitoring to avoid resource requirement from the client. Through many years of experience, we demonstrate a high achievement in terms of meeting targets for non-car modal share. Importantly, we have strong relationships with the transport operators and our Travel Plan monitoring is readily accepted by the approving authorities.
Travel Information Packs
Travel Information Packs (also known as Travel Packs or Welcome Packs) are an excellent way to provide travel information to residents and development users. The Packs also satisfy the local authorities’ requirements.
Use our Travel Information Pack service for your next project
The Travel Information Packs we provide are of high quality and cost-effective. We design, print and distribute the Travel Packs in accordance with your own branding. Many authorities consider our work to be exemplar and we have an agreed Travel Pack template with a number of local authorities. For example, our Travel Packs have been used as best practice by Surrey County Council and have been complemented by Essex County Council and Highways England.
Introduction of Car Clubs
We assist in arranging Car Clubs for developments. This can involve a Car Club vehicle on site or providing residents/users of a development with membership for a local Car Club.
Let us take the hassle out of arranging your Car Club
We manage all aspects of establishing a Car Club including discharge of conditions, procurement and co-ordination. From the provision of quotations from the operators through to advising on the best form of contractual arrangements, we take care of everything for you.