Noise and Vibration
Noise and Vibration Assessment
Most planning applications for new development (whether noise-generating or noise-sensitive) will need to be supported by a "Noise and Vibration Assessment". The assessment needs to demonstrate how the project will deliver sustainable development, in line with national and local planning policy objectives.
For larger scale projects, Noise and Vibration may need to be more formally assessed as part of an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).
The key to success for any development is early engagement. This enables the noise "risk" of a site to be carefully assessed and for masterplans to be developed holistically, implementing "good acoustic design" principles.
Once we have assisted you in securing planning permission for your development, we can also offer detailed acoustic design advice to discharge any planning conditions, and provide detailed design input through to practical completion of the project.
Benefits of using Mayer Brown for your Noise and Vibration Assessment
The services we provide include:
- Environmental noise surveys
- Vibration monitoring
- 3D Computational noise modelling
- Planning Stage Noise and Vibration Impact Statements/Assessments
- Drafting of Environmental Statement chapters
- Discharge of Planning Conditions
- Input into noise aspects of sustainability rating schemes (e.g. BREEAM)
- Building Services Acoustics Detailed Design Advice (including assessment of internal and external noise emissions from plant and distribution systems, specification of noise control advice and vibration isolation advice)
- Architectural Acoustics Detailed Design Advice (including specification of the sound reduction performance requirements of external building fabric elements); internal sound insulation (including advice relating to Building Regulations compliance or privacy in commercial developments); and room acoustics advice
- Control of construction noise and vibration
- Licensing Support (including the control of noise from entertainment venues and outdoor events and preparation of Noise Management Plans)
- Expert Witness Representation
Mayer Brown Limited has a proven track record of supporting their clients’ development aspirations. Ranging from small scale infill plots to strategic urban extension delivering up to 7,000 new homes; changes of use secured through General Permitted Development rights and a wide variety of new industrial, commercial and entertainment uses taken from conception to completion.
Noise and Vibration case studies
For examples of recent Noise and Vibration projects Mayer Brown have undertaken please view our case studies for, Berewood, Winter Gardens, Bournemouth - Mixed Use Development, PLASDWR - Cardiff's 21st Centurt Garden City, CEMP - Waterlooville.